Dan Weyandt, Jeff Gretz and Scott Mellinger of Zao continue laying out the entire upcoming album "The Well Intentioned Virus" track by track. This chapter will cover tracks six through ten, plus a very special remix of Xenophobe called "Xenophyle" by Joey Milligan of Anberlin. Zao just KEEPS GIVING! Don't forget about that giveaway that ATSG, Skull Toaster and MetalBandCampGiftClub are collaborating on. Listen to the rules and listen closely to the podcast. The answer was revealed in chapter fifty last week. Listen closely, follow Skull Toaster and WIN THAT POSTER!
Chapter 51 Music: all Zao from the upcoming album The Well Intentioned Virus (and working titles)
6) "Xenophobe": First single from the album. I take a stab at what I think the meaning would be. Jeff discusses a bit about pressing this to vinyl.
Never before released: "Xenophyle" remix by Joey of Anberlin. Why? Because Zao loves their fans. Just give us a few minutes to discuss the heroin stronghold on Pittsburgh.
Bonus clip of "Fear Itself" Did you know this song was left over from Awake? This is Dan's self proclaimed anxiety attack song.
7) "The Haunting Pools" (Megalodon): Holy crap, Dan's head is a scary place. A fever dream led to an encounter that Dan isn't quite sure how to even describe what he experienced. "It was broken when we found it; we found it like that." This is what happens when you live next to a cemetery.
8) "Observed/Observer" (Osiris): This is based off of a witch chant and inspired by something Dave Grohl said on Howard Stern. We learn about the sorry jar at work. Turns out Moby was right about carbon.
9) "The Sun Orbits Around The Flat Earth Witch Trials" (Unpleasant): What are we wrong about right now that we are accepting as correct? This leads us to a discussion about technology and who's running what.
10) "I Leave You In Peace" (You Are Not Free): You can pick sides and ague or you can just...walk away. What if you just don't care anymore? Zao is done with categories.
We then discuss the recording process at Treelady Studios, our dogs, the song writing process with members who live all over the place, the album artwork, label vs indie release, and Dan's daughter makes her first podcast appearance.
Chapter 51 Notes:
Zao Official Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ZAO.Official
Zao Bandcamp: https://officialzao.bandcamp.com
Zao Twitter: https://twitter.com/OfficialZao
As The Story Grows links: